On May 19, 2012, at the invitation of Carol Canales, State President, North Carolina Society, United States Daughters of 1812, David Brook, chair of the DCR War of 1812 Bicentennial Planning Committee, spoke to the members of the Captain Johnston Blakeley Chapter in Raleigh, at the chapter’s spring meeting. Dr. Brook reviewed North Carolina activities of the War of 1812 Bicentennial that include two symposia in 2012: June 29 in Beaufort on The Naval War of 1812 and October 20, in Southport on The Lower Cape Fear in the War of 1812. The meeting was held at the University Club of North Carolina State University. President Canales highly praised the DCR War of 1812 Web page in her remarks to the chapter membership.
- War of 1812 and the Backcountry symposium: Dr. Gary Freeze and Salisbury’s local connection
- War of 1812 in the Backcountry symposium – Howard Kittell of the Hermitage
- Video of Don Hickey, nationally recognized as a leading scholar of the War of 1812
- Successful Salisbury Symposium on the War of 1812 in the Backcountry
- North Carolina Humanities Council awards a grant for upcoming symposium!