“History on a Stick” — Explore North Carolina’s War of 1812 history via the state’s Marker Program. Choose a topic to view marker photos, read historical essays, and view GPS map data (where available). Nearly 1,500 markers have been placed on North Carolina’s highways since the program began in 1935.
- War of 1812 and the Backcountry symposium: Dr. Gary Freeze and Salisbury’s local connection
- War of 1812 in the Backcountry symposium – Howard Kittell of the Hermitage
- Video of Don Hickey, nationally recognized as a leading scholar of the War of 1812
- Successful Salisbury Symposium on the War of 1812 in the Backcountry
- North Carolina Humanities Council awards a grant for upcoming symposium!